Tuesday, October 2, 2007

It's Official...

It's official. I have joined the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo.org). Beginning November 1st, 2007 and continuing through to November 30th, I will attempt to write about 1,700 words of a novel every day.

The ultimate goal? 50,000+ words over the 30 days. And a publishable book, or at least a rough first draft of such.

"The first draft of anything, is shit." - Ernest Hemingway

My goal now is to put together an outline of what I will be writing about. I actually have two different story lines I could go from. The first is a story I started writing last summer. I wrote out a first chapter, and never did any more. The second is a story that I started writing prior to that, with a writing partner. I haven't decided which to go with come November. Then again, I have been mulling around a new story - an historically factual piece of fiction based during the civil war. I don't know. We'll see.

I have, however, decided that I have to get myself into the habit of writing at least 1,000 words a day. No matter the subject, no matter the pain, it must be done. I have an entire month to prepare myself, mentally & physically. It can be done, I know.

My biggest challenge is turning off the internal editor. You know, the one that makes you want to stop and go back over what you just typed to edit it. An unrealistic demand for perfection. That's exactly what it is. And why not? How can I go forward knowing that what I just wrote and attached my name to is shit? But I must, and I will.

Not to mention my ongoing attempts to get published in magazines once again. I have several articles I am working on that I am going to pitch to various publications during this same period. In plain words, I am going to have my writing plate full for quite some time. I can't wait. I only hope those around me can put up with my constant hacking away at the keyboard and late night research endeavors.

No comments: